Friday, December 4, 2009

PLUTO'S CHRISTMAS TREE Master Pan B/G


Tonight I had an epiphany.

I was going through Holiday B/G art, and I stopped to look at PLUTO'S CHRISTMAS TREE. It's my absolute favorite Christmas cartoon, and one of my all-time favorite Disney shorts. I distinctly remember the first time I saw it... I was awestruck at how the inside of the tree perfectly captured the magic of Christmas in a distinctly Disney way - with the ornaments, Christmas lights and sparkling tinsel amidst the evergreen branches... dazzling. Disney background artist Thelma Wittmer outdid herself here. Spectacular!

Well, some thirty years later, tonight, as I'm looking at the pieces, I notice something I'd never seen before... it seems like I might have bookend artwork for each side. Sure enough, I was able to piece together the entire master pan B/G!!!

By the way, in case you're curious, here are the pieces used in different camera setups, roughly sized and placed together sequentially. You can see how they overlap.

Here are the dazzling segments. Be sure an click on them to see the festive detail!



Together, again... for the very first time. MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites